November 23, 2011

feelin' sassy

One thing I would like you to know about this photo is that the smile is 100% real.  While posing for my tripod, I listened to Tina Fey's Bossypants on CD.  She reads it herself.  It wouldn't have been nearly as funny if I read it from a page in my own interior voice.  There's just something about Tina Fey's delivery: her plosives...her parenthetical asides...they just wouldn't be the same in my voice.  Anyway.  There's the smile explanation.  (But fair warning: the book contains material that conservatives and children will find objectionable.)
Now for the outfit.  I started with the zebra scarf, found this fall at a consignment shop.  After that it was all about staying neutral and warm.  Hence the tank top (Charlotte Russe), sweater (Goodwill), skirt (Salvation Army), and leggings.  Flats would look dorky with these particular leggings, which are roomier than they seemed when I bought them.  Tall boots cover the baggy ankles just fine. 
While black isn't a very practical color for the flower shop, what with itty bitty bits of plant matter all over the place, by the end of the day this outfit hadn't fared too badly.  It was warm and comfy.  That's about all a girl could want, right?  At least I thought so.

Today's reason for thanksgiving: My basic need for clothing is so far exceeded that instead of worrying about whether I have enough clothes for warmth, I can worry about whether my warmth looks stylish. What a luxury!

1 comment:

Cayla said...

Maria! You said plosives, and that made me remember a song that you could probably appreciate. Ben Folds wrote the music and Nick Hornby wrote the words--"Saskia Hamilton."
I love your blog! (I found it through Nate and Sam Prior's blog.) I hope all continues to go well with you!